Program Schedule and FAQs
University of British Columbia Okanagan (UBCO)
UBCO, located in the dynamic southern interior city of Kelowna in the Okanagan Valley, provides an intimate learning community in the spectacular wine-growing region of British Columbia. Approximately 7,600 undergraduate and 640 graduate students study at University of British Columbia Okanagan.
June 29 - 30
iCharleston Family Orientation on College of Charleston Campus
Pre Departure Orientation
Students arrive Kelowna
August 26 – September 1
Jump Start International Orientation
First day of classes
November 9 – 10
December 4 – 19
Students depart Kelowna
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I file for a visa?
- UBCO will handle all visa paperwork for iCharleston participants.
What facilities will be made available to iCharleston participants while in Kelowna?
- iCharleston participants will be free to use the UBCO recreation facilities, which include fitness classes, intramural sports teams and the fitness center. There is a nominal fee for use of these facilities. For more information on campus recreation, visit camprec.ok.ubc.ca.
- iCharleston participants will also have full access to UBCO’s library, which is open 7am-12am Mondays-Thursdays, 7am-10pm Fridays, 9am-10pm Saturdays, and 10am-12am Sundays. Participants will get a UBC identification card upon arrival at university, which will be used as your library card. Participants will also be able to access UBCO’s online journals and databases from their residence halls. For more information on UBCO’s library, visit: www.library.ubc.ca/
- Student resources include Math Lab, Writing Lab, Academic Advising, Health and Wellness Services, International Programs & Services, Career Services, and Disability Resource Centre. For more information on UBCO’s library, visit: students.ok.ubc.ca
What housing services are available to iCharleston participants?
- iCharleston participants will live in single rooms with a shared bathroom. Furniture and supplies include all bedding, a desk and a chair.
- Residence Advisors organize activities and learning opportunities throughout the year, so participants will learn things such as finding out about Kelowna and the UBCO campus, teaming up for a volleyball tournament and learning to study more effectively.
Will iCharleston participants have access to a meal plan?
- All participants will have a “Bronze” meal plan usable at over eight on-campus locations. Participants will not need to register for a meal plan directly, as it is included in iCharleston fees. For more information on what the meal plan entails, please visit: housing.ubc.ca
What laundry services will be available?
- “Coinomatic” laundry cards can be purchased from the Student Housing and Hospitality Services office or in Similkameen Residence Hall at a self-serve machine. Washers and dryers can be started by swiping your “Coinomatic” card, which can be reloaded throughout the semester.
Will there be co-curricular trips made available for iCharleston participants?
- iCharleston Site Directors complete programs throughout the semester specifically for the participants within this program. CofC faculty and/or staff may be involved in these programs.